Tired of staring at those unsightly, peeling wallpaper strips in your home? Is it ruining the overall aesthetic appeal of your living room or bedroom? Well, fret not because we have a quick and easy solution for you.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of fixing peeling wallpaper and revitalising your living room and bedroom. Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or a novice, our step-by-step instructions will help you transform your walls and give them a fresh new look. Without further ado, let’s dive in!
To Fix or Not To Fix: Assess the Damage
Before diving into the repair process, it’s essential to assess the condition of your existing wallpaper. Sometimes, a small section may be peeling, while the rest of the wallpaper is intact. In such cases, fixing the damaged area is a viable option. However, if the wallpaper is extensively damaged, faded, or outdated, replacement might be the best solution to achieve the desired results.
Step-by-Step Guide to Fix Peeling Wallpaper
1. Gather the Necessary Tools and Materials
To fix peeling wallpaper, you’ll need a few tools and materials readily available:
- Wallpaper adhesive or paste
- Utility knife or razor blade
- Wallpaper smoother or brush
- Sponge or damp cloth
- Bucket of clean water
- Wallpaper seam roller (optional)
2. Preparing the Wall for Reapplication
Before reapplying the wallpaper, it’s crucial to prepare the wall surface properly. Follow these steps:
- Clean the wall: Remove any dirt, dust, or grease from the wall using a damp cloth or sponge. Allow it to dry completely before proceeding.
- Remove loose wallpaper: Gently peel off any loose or hanging sections of the wallpaper. Use a utility knife or razor blade to trim any frayed edges.
- Smooth out bubbles or wrinkles: Use a wallpaper smoother or brush to flatten any bubbles or wrinkles in the existing wallpaper.
3. Applying the Adhesive on the Wallpaper
- Mix the adhesive: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to prepare the wallpaper adhesive or paste. Make sure to mix it thoroughly to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Apply the adhesive: Using a paintbrush or roller, apply a thin and even layer of adhesive on the backside of the wallpaper. Be careful not to oversaturate it.
- Let it rest: Allow the adhesive to rest for a few minutes, as recommended by the manufacturer. This step is crucial for activating the adhesive properties.
4. Reattaching the Wallpaper
- Align the wallpaper: Carefully line up the edges of the wallpaper with the existing pattern or design. Take your time to ensure a seamless match.
- Smooth it out: Use a wallpaper smoother or brush to gently press the wallpaper onto the wall, starting from the centre and working your way out towards the edges. Smooth out any air bubbles or wrinkles as you go.
- Trim excess wallpaper: Once the wallpaper is reattached, use a utility knife or razor blade to trim any excess material along the edges or corners.
5. Allowing Time for Drying
Now that you’ve reattached the wallpaper, make sure to allow it ample time to dry. This step is essential for the adhesive to set properly and ensure a long-lasting fix. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer as the drying time for each wallpaper may vary depending on the type of adhesive used. Also, avoid touching or putting any pressure on the wallpaper until it’s completely dry.
Tips to Prevent Wallpaper from Peeling
While fixing peeling wallpaper is indeed satisfying, wouldn’t it be better to prevent the problem all together? Now, let us share with you some friendly tips to maintain your wallpaper’s integrity and keep peeling at bay.
Choose High-quality Wallpaper
When it comes to wallpaper, quality matters. Don’t settle for anything less! Invest in high-quality wallpaper from reputable manufacturers. Look for those crafted from durable materials designed to withstand the test of time. A little splurge now will reward you with a long-lasting, aesthetically pleasing sanctuary.
Craft Axis Singapore is a reputable provider of interior decor solutions that offers a wide selection of premium wallpapers that can elevate the aesthetic appeal of any space. They also collaborate with reputable manufacturers who prioritise quality and innovation. This is to ensure that every wallpaper they offer meets the highest standard of craftsmanship.
Maintain Optimal Humidity Levels
Humidity can be a wallpaper’s worst enemy. To prevent peeling, aim to maintain optimal humidity levels in your home. Use a dehumidifier or an air conditioner to control moisture levels, especially in areas prone to high humidity. By keeping the humidity in check, you’ll help preserve the integrity of your wallpaper.
Buy Wallpaper from Reputable Sources
Last but not least, when purchasing wallpaper, choose trusted suppliers or retailers who offer high-quality products. This ensures that you’re getting genuine, well-crafted wallpaper that is less likely to peel or deteriorate quickly. Reading customer reviews and seeking recommendations can help you make informed decisions about your wallpaper purchases.
Revitalising your rooms with wallpaper can breathe new life into your living spaces. If you’re faced with peeling wallpaper, don’t fret! Assess the damage and determine if fixing or replacing the wallcovering is the best solution. Follow the step-by-step guide provided to fix peeling wallpaper effectively. With these tips in mind, you can enjoy beautiful and long-lasting wallpaper in your home.
If you’re in Singapore and looking for professional assistance with your wallpaper-fixing needs, consider reaching out to Craft Axis. With our expertise and experience, we can help you achieve impeccable results and bring new life to your living space. We are committed to providing top-notch service and ensuring customer satisfaction. So, what are you waiting for? Consider reaching out to Craft Axis to ensure a professional touch. If you prefer the DIY route, grab those tools and let your creativity flow. It’s time to embark on a journey of wallpaper transformation and reclaim the beauty of your rooms.